Easy and casual for summer: the Forsythe Dress Pattern

The Forsythe Dress pattern from French Navy has nice style lines, is comfortable, and can be dressed up or down. The best part: it has pockets!! 
The dress is simple enough to make in a couple of hours but with interesting design details that prevent it from being boring.  I enjoyed this pattern so much, I have already made 5 different dresses! 
My wearable muslin of this dress was in a japanese cotton double gauze print that has been in my stash for a few years. I didn't have quite enough fabric for the entire dress, so I used some Giza egyptian cotton woven in black from emmaonesock.com for the pocket pieces. 






I love the back button placket, paneled construction, an kimono sleeves.

The placket is functional, but not necessary, as the neckline is wide enough to get the dress on and off without unbuttoning.

Modifications made after the first version:

1. The dress felt a bit too short for comfort so I added 3 inches to the length at the hemline.
2. The pockets are a welcome addition, but were woefully small in the original pattern. I made them large enough to accommodate my cell phone in its wallet case.

Here are the results:
This version in a 3-D embroidered cotton, underlined with Giza egyptian cotton in swiss ivory, as it was a bit too transparent for my comfort. I did not have enough fabric for the entire dress, so I used the egytpitan cotton fabric for the back panels, pockets, and sleeve cuffs. Because of the underlining, this dress had more body than the first.







I made a third version in a pretty metallic linen. This fabric was also semi-opaque so I underlined it with some silk charmeuse.

Next version in a lightweight super 120 worsted wool. This black dress can be casual if worn with sandals, or dressy when paired with a fancy belt and heels. Initially I did not line this dress, but after wearing it with tights a few times and having the skirt velcro to my legs, I added a silk charmeuse skirt lining.




Finally, I wanted a casual version, like the original, but with my modifications: longer and with bigger pockets! My most recent version is from what feels like cotton wool blend Liberty of London print. Flowers are not usually my style, but the fabric was opaque, had a nice hand and drape, and was on sale at my local shop so I went with it.




This last dress is perfect to throw on over a swim suit and head to the beach without looking too sloppy.

So there you have it: one dress pattern + many fabrics = many looks.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts