Vogue 2449 Trench Coat



A few years ago I started thinking about making a Burberry style trench coat. I wanted it to have all the accouterments, including a belt with a leather covered buckle and matching grommets. I also wanted it to be a functional raincoat. I had originally planned to make the classic Burberry mid-length coat in honey or stone, but never found the perfect fabric (still looking!)

Inspiration

And then I came across some amazing waterproof luxury fabric at my favorite online store, Emmaonesock.com. This fabric is a wool/cashmere/silk blend from a designer of luxury outerwear, Loro Piana. This fabric is exquisite, but it is a black/clue color as opposed to the beige I was looking for. After finding this fabric, it took one year to collect the various notions, lining fabric - a purple silk twill, and appropriate pattern, (out of print) Vogue 2449. Fortunately, I was able to find an un-cut version of this pattern on Etsy.



 I chose Vogue 2449 because it had almost every detail I was looking for: belted sleeves, waist belt, storm flap, epaulettes, and gun flap. I wrote an extensive review of Vogue 2449 where I detailed the changes I made on pattern review 2 years ago.

Here are some photos showing the details:

Hanging chain

View of shoulder pad before attaching sleeve

inside pocket

belted sleeve and welted side pocket

buttoned storm flap

large hook at neckline, attached with rivets


The only feature Vogue 2449 did not have that I wanted was a detachable hood. This I drafted myself using a RTW hooded rain jacket from my closet as a guide. I do not have a photo, but another feature I added after reading about it in another review of this pattern was a hidden pocket inside the coat to store the hood when not in use.


I used a balloon to stand in as a head on my dress form.

The hood has buttonholes at the bottom and the coat has buttons under the collar for attachment.

Overall, I love how this coat turned out. The fit is perfect since I made a muslin before cutting the fabric and it keeps me dry in a downpour. The welted pockets are quite deep and hold my cell phone, wallet, and keys without feeling bulky. The perfect trench coat!



Thanks for reading!







Comments

Popular Posts