Burberry inspired girl's trench coat


Inspiration: Children's Burberry Trench coat
Ever since I made myself a Burberry style trench coat, I have been planning one for my daughter. The Secret Agent Trench Coat Pattern from Oliver + S was the perfect pattern for the job. I used a waterproof lightweight gray cotton  from Emmaonesock.com for the outer fabric,  some remnants from my own trench coat for the piping detail, and a silk charmeuse scarf print from my stash for the lining. 

The pattern is double breasted and unlined with raglan sleeves, a shoulder flap, buttoned sleeve tabs, and a waist tie belt. I made version B, which features a drop waist skirt. My daughter is almost 8 years old and I made the size 10. I'm hoping to get over a year out of this coat! I added a few extra decorative details to the basic pattern based on my RTW (ready to wear) inspiration trench coat. For pattern details, see my review at patternreview.com.

Here is the final result:


Pattern changes:

1. This version did not have pockets as part of the pattern, so I drafted buttoned, welt pockets using the Vogue 2449 pattern as a guide.  I cut bias strips from my remnant fabric and used it to dreate the piping. I sewed the piping to the welts, sleeve tabs, and collar prior to sewing the pieces together.





2. I fully lined the coat and added a hanging loop at the back neckline.

I overlapped the facing pieces
with the coat pieces to draft the lining.







3. I drafted an inside "secret" pocket, which my daughter loves. 



4. Finally, I also drafted a detachable hood, loosely based on the one I previously drafted for myself when I made my own trench coat. The hood is attached with buttons hidden under the collar.








5. I added more buttons to the front than the pattern required because I like the look of additional buttons. I also added a button to the shoulder flap. Including the buttons that attach the hood (5 buttons),  there are 22 buttons on this trench coat! Most of the buttons are matte brown faux buffalo horn buttons, purchased here, but I ran out and had to use a few navy ones as well.

I'll admit I ran into some difficulty when sewing the lining to the facing because I forgot to draft separate lining pieces for the raglan sleeves and back upper piece. (I only drafted the front lining pieces.) 😳 To overcome this I cut the lining to and slip stitched it to the facing piece.

Although I attached the belt loops and made the waist tie, I think the coat looks better unbelted. Also, I'm pretty sure my daughter does not want the extra hassle of tying the belt.  (It's bad enough there are so many buttons...) 



I'm happy with the end result and my daughter loves her new raincoat!

 I made it just in time because it's been pouring rain for the past few days around here. 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts