DIY Nintendo Switch Game Holder











Last year my teenage son received a Nintendo Switch video game system for his birthday. Since that time he has been asking for a case to hold his games. We looked at several options online here and here. The version he liked was part of a case that also holds the game console and controllers. However, he already has a portable case to hold the game console that came with a messenger bag he has specifically to transport the system. The ideal game holder would fit inside his portable case. As part of the design, he asked if the game holder could also be folded over to prop up the screen/ console for on the go game play. Here is how we made it:



Materials:

  • heavier woven fabric, like canvas (I used some cordura nylon left over from when I made my daughter a backpack)
  • stiff heavy interfacing
  • semi-firm plastic sheet (I bought a 3-ring binder from the dollar store and cut the front and back of to use for this purpose)
  • 1.5 inch elastic
  • polyester grosgrain ribbon for binding edges
  • ruler for measuring
  • thread (I used nylon, but all purpose polyester would work)
  • heavy duty needle, I used size 110/18






 Method:

First Measure the size of the game holder. I wanted it to be able to sit between the controllers in the existing case:
             
6.75 inches wide
3.75 inches tall




I cut 2 pieces of fabric to be 1/4 inch wider around the perimeter and twice as long as the length (about 7.5 inches). I cut 2 separate pieces of plastic and heavy, stiff interfacing a little smaller than my finished size (6.25 inch x 3.25 inch). Make a sandwich with one layer of interfacing and one layer of plastic.



I attached 2 rows of elastic across the fabric length wise across the the top end and one piece across the bottom, sewing across the bottom and sides only but leaving the top open. I next stitched "dividers" perpendicular to the bottom edge:

Front shown with 2 out of 3 elastic pieces attached

The above "front" piece was then stitched to the back piece along the long sides, leaving the short edged open for inserting the plastic + heavy interfacing sandwich. Next, sew 2 lines of stitching in the center of the piece, parallel to the elastic.

This is the finished game holder, but shows the lines of stitching.

I inserted the plastic+ heavy interfacing into each side and then sewed the short edges closed.  I bound the sewn edges with some polyester grosgrain ribbon, held in place by wonder clips. I mitered the edges as I came to them.


Finally, to enable the game holder to prop up the Switch console, I created a small flap to attach it to the center of the portable game case. I used some batting to pad the flap:

The flap was then sewn to one edge of the game holder:


And here is the finished product in action:



Here is the case when it is closed with the game holder inside it. The stitching that attaches the game holder is hardly noticeable. 




Thanks for reading!
























Comments

Popular Posts